Tuesday 20 November 2012

Lush Baked Aubergines

I use the word lush far too much. Fact.
In my lovely veg box from my beloved Pete (he has his own Fruit n Veg stall don't you know?! My best friend picked good) there were a few lovely looking aubergines some small sweet red peppers and copious amounts of lovely red cherry tomatoes.



As I'm not precious about having meat at every meal, in fact i think its nice sometimes not to have it, i decided to bake the aubergines and use the tomatoes and red peppers to make a yummy sauce to bake with the aubergines along with some of my Easy Peasy Pesto and some Ricotta cheese - the result is Lush - no other word to describe it!
I cant be bothered to type out all the ingredients but I'll talk you through it step by step. Promise.
Sooooooooooo........ slice your aubergine in half and criss cross the flesh, put in baking tray and then splash lots of olive over them


Put in oven at a moderate to high.
A the same time halve the cherry tomatoes and red peppers, put in baking tray, cover in olive oil and then put in oven along with the aubergine


The tomatoes and peppers will take 20 mins or so and the aubergines around 40 mins
While they are cooking away, whizz up 1 onion and 2 cloves of garlic in food processor, whizz it up until it forms a paste and then transfer it into a pan with a bit of oil. On a low heat, gradually cook this mixture through - don't let it burn! take the cherry tomatoes and peppers out of oven, they should be lovely and roasted, put then in blender and blitz until they are a smooth paste. Add the paste to the onion and garlic along with a cartoon of passata


Let the sauce simmer for 15mins or so.
Take the aubergines out of the oven. In oven proof dish spread a layer of the tomato sauce. Place the aubergine on top and dot with ricotta cheese. Add a splash more tomato sauce and drizzle with pesto (I used my homemade pesto)


Doesn't look great just yet! Bare with me! Pop this in the oven for about 20 minutes and then it will look like this, You could serve this with a salad, crusty bread maybe but I like it just as it is ( although I did only manage 2 halves):

Lush.

***I took the rest of the aubergine and tomato sauce, combined them and then added some wholemeal pasta - perfect for packed lunch tomorrow***

No comments:

Post a Comment