Wednesday 28 January 2015

When Paella rice isn't an option......{Wild Rice Paella}












Because paella rice really isn't an option for me. Complex carbs only which is fine I like sweet potato and brown rice. I went for another run yesterday night which was the fourth day of exercise in a row (probably a record for me) and my body was in need of some serious carbs. Now I'm not saying this is the healthiest dish in town - the chorizo sees to that (and paella without chorizo makes me sad) BUT the use of brown and red wild rice, soya beans and extra veg makes it that bit better for you. I'm sorry I'm a bit scatty with my measurements I do tend to just throw things in a pan!




Wild Rice Paella

1 cup red and brown wild rice, uncooked
2 banana shallots, diced 
100g chorizo, sliced into £1 coin thickness
1/2 red chilli, finely sliced
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 TSP dried red chillies
5 mushrooms, cubed 
1 TSP paprika
pinch saffron
splash white wine or brandy
chicken stock, fresh is best or from a stock pot
couple of handfuls of  frozen soya beans 
handful frozen peas
10 raw prawns 
1 tomato, cubed

put the chorizo in a heavy based shallow pan, and cook for 5 minutes until the oils are released and they start to crisp up slightly. add in the chilli, garlic and shallots and stir until softened. add in the dried chilli, paprika, mushrooms, and saffron. stir for a few minutes then add in the rice and coat it in the pan oils. splash in some wine and cook it off and the add in a good amount of stock, i covered the rice and a good 2 1/2 inches more. leave on a moderate and keep an eye on it but don't stir. when the stock is almost all absorbed check the rice - if it's still hard add some more stock if not then add in the soya beans, peas, prawns and tomato and cover the pan. cook on low for another 5-10 minutes or so and then everything should be cooked nicely. serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment