Thursday 19 March 2015

Healthy Weekday Meal #7.........{my copy of Pret's Chicken, Edamame & Ginger Soup}





I have got really lazy the past couple of weeks - I had my birthday and then a couple of busy and tense weeks at work. This all led to me not having time to run and to eat well and to nourish (and of course no time to blog). I think when things like this happen you have to let it go a bit. Take a deep breath and just start it up again. The more I beat myself up about it the more I'm admitting defeat.
 
Working in London it's really easy to pop out and get lunch and we have a pret a manger around the corner from the office (like most offices in London I guess). I love pret especially their soups - my favourite is the Chicken, endame bean and ginger soup. But dang it gets expensive and I'm enjoying spending my earnings on clothes the size smaller. So I did what any self respecting wannabe blogger would do. I looked online, found the list of ingredients and then just kind of figured out what sort of amounts I wanted of each ingredients.

And so soup was made and now I have healthy soup everyday. The ginger makes it really healing too, so this is great if you have a cold. And it tastes good.Next to figure out their Asian Pepper.... 

(Forgive my really loose measures, I really did just throw this together)




Chicken, edamame and ginger soup 



1 large Spanish onion, diced  
couple of handfuls of cooked chicken, shredded 
a large piece of ginger (size of an egg, or a banana shallot), peeled and then half grated and half finely sliced 
2 large or 4 small tomatoes, diced
small handful uncooked brown rice 
2 pints chicken stock 
couple of handfuls frozen edamame (soya) beans 

in a bit of coconut oil cook off the onion until softened. Add in the ginger and cook until fragrant. Add in the chicken, tomatoes and rice and let them all get coated in the flavours. Pour over the stock, bring to the boil then turn down to simmer. After 20 minutes add in the edamame and simmer for another 5 minutes or so. Then its ready. Just keep in the fridge and dip into it as and when you fancy! 

3 comments:

  1. I'm a huge fan of Pret too! We don't have one in our town so we have to wait until we go into the city! I think it's a great idea to make your own version of the soup, much cheaper and homemade wins everytime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a huge fan of Pret too! We don't have one in our town so we have to wait until we go into the city! I think it's a great idea to make your own version of the soup, much cheaper and homemade wins everytime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So lovely that you are back! Thanks for remembering me! Homemade is always a winner although I do love pret I think its the best place to go for lunch and healthier than the rest. Although it does get expensive! So this is for everyday and I have a lunch there once a week as my Friday treat! Winner x

      Delete