Wednesday 8 April 2015

When on dessert duty.............{key lime pie}











I have exactly four weeks until I jet off to Italy. So excited, although I'm not so excited about wearing the dreaded bikini! Still I'm keeping up with my running (must do an update) and yoga but the healthy eating could be better. Not helped by the fact I was on dessert duty this Easter weekend. I like to do options and one of my options was this traditional key lime pie. Before when I have made "Key lime pie" but this is more of a traditional version and it tastes great -  a great option when you want a special dessert and it helps that it is H's favourite so I get brownie points! This was especially good as it uses egg yolks and my other dessert was meringue which uses egg white!

Key Lime Pie 

300g biscuits - i went for hobnobs but you could use digestives or ginger nuts would be tasty!
75g butter, melted
1 tin condensed milk (about 350g)
3 medium egg yolks
finely grated zest and juice of 4 limes
300ml double cream
1 tbsp icing sugar



crumble the biscuits in a food processor,  mix with the melted butter and press into the base and up the sides of a pie dish (I love my enamel one). bake in moderately heated oven for 10 minutes. remove and leave to cool. put the egg yolks in a large bowl and whisk for a minute with electric whisk. add the condensed milk and whisk for a few minutes until thickened, then add the zest and juice and whisk again for a few more minutes! pour the filling into the cooled base then put back in the oven for 15 minutes. cool then chill in the fridge overnight. when you are ready to serve, whip together the cream and icing sugar, spread over top of pie (piping would make it look so much prettier but who has the time) and finish with some lime zest. indulge. 

Today I'm linking up with the lovely Miriam at Farm girl


6 comments:

  1. I'm going to have to give this a try sometime, it looks delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum, that looks heavenly! I love key lime pie, will give this one a try. It's awesome that you're still running and doing yoga, way to go! I'd much rather exercise and eat well than trying to diet and be miserable. Life is too short not to eat delicious food!
    Thanks so much for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is exactly it! I dont believe in denying oneself the pleasures in life - food being a big one of them. All about moderation and just making sure you exercise well!

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete